Monday, September 21, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: Beowulf

2015 Reading Challenge: A book that was originally written in a different language.

Beowulf
Translated by Seamus Heaney
213 pages (with original Old English on facing pages)

Characters:
Beowulf
Hrothgar
Hygelac
Grendel
Grende's Mom
Many others...

At the beginning of the poem, we learn of the Danes and their Grendel problem. Grendel is some kind of Big foot monster who is considered spawn of Cain. He likes to come to King Hrothgar's golden town hall in the middle of the night to kill people and eat them. It's a big problem for the Danes. One that plagues them for many years.

Beowulf shows up out of the blue and helps the Danes and Hrothgar by tearing Grendel's arm off so he bleeds to death (or so I understand). But then, Mama Grendel shows up and takes the king's favorite advisor out of revenge for her son's death. Beowulf steps up once again to save the Danes. He jumps into a big lake to fight Grendel's mom. Then he steals dead Grendel's head for the king. The king is so happy he sends Beowulf home with all sorts of gold and treasure.

Then Beowulf grows old and kills a dragon and then dies. Now you don't have to read the poem!

I was surprised at how easy it was to read Beowulf. I always thought it was going to be so hard for me to read and comprehend. I really enjoyed it, to my surprise. I was given the book by my younger brother, who had a lovable quirk of giving gifts so that he could borrow them later for himself. I couldn't help but think of him as I read it. I wouldn't recommend this poem to just anyone... or really anyone. It's kind of weird and surprisingly gory.I'm not sure I really understand or love classic literature but I'm glad I finally read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment