Friday, December 6, 2013

A Hallmark Christmas

Do you know something that I missed last Christmas? ...What am I thinking? Of course you don't know. That's the whole purpose of me even writing this post.

I should probably tell you.

Something I missed last Christmas was... Hallmark movies!! (And ABC Family movies).

I know what you are probably thinking. Actually I don't. I think I need to stop being so presumptuous. Okay, here's what I think about myself for liking Hallmark channel... I'm sentimental, crazy, corny, and a romantic. :) Is this news to anyone?

I love Hallmark channel's Christmas movies the most. Granted, some are ridiculously corny and I cannot stand to watch them. For the most part though, I love them. I love the sweetness of the stories. Most of them are clean- huge plus in this day and age. I just love how at the end, now matter how corny and dorky and romantic the stories, I sit back and sigh. It's like reading a good book.

Life doesn't have to be an adventure- although sometimes it is. Haha. It's nice to have moments where life is just sweet. That's not to say that I believe that life should be a Hallmark movie... hahahaha. That's a little too corny and dorky for me. I wouldn't mind having "Hallmark moments" in my life though.

Those moments when everything seems to work. The guy and the girl... have spark. When the sweet little family is gathered around the Christmas tree and the lights are on and it's... magical. Just moments is all. I know everything can't be magic all the time... unless you live in Harry Potter's world.

I guess this causes me to reflect on the magic moments in my own life. The moment I hugged my nephew in the airport. Seeing the Christmas lights in Temple Square with mission friends. Sitting on the couch in my living room watching a movie with my mom and dad.

Sure there may not have been beautiful instrumental music playing in the background as these magic moments happened but music does not magic make... although music can be magical.

I missed the magic of Christmas last year. The magic that comes from the sweet moments with family, friends, and loved-ones. As I write this, I think of other magical moments that I had while on my mission. Sister M and I were companions at the time and we had so many magical moments together. Decorating Christmas trees for some elderly women in the ward we served in. Going caroling with the Relief Society. Making German pancakes on Christmas morning and eating them before opening our presents.


It's like that song that George Strait sings: "Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away..."


Look for those moments that take your breath away. Look for the magic in your life. Find the Hallmark corniness in your Christmas.


Smile Always,


Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment