Saturday, February 28, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

2015 Reading Challenge: A book from my childhood
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Roald Dahl
159 pages

CHARACTERS:
Charlie Bucket
Willy Wonka
Grandpa Joe
Mr. & Mrs. Bucket
Grandma Josephine
Grandpa George
Grandma Georgina

Charlie and company fly around in Willy Wonka's glass elevator after Charlie's tour through the chocolate factory. They end up in space at the Space Hotel, U.S.A. where they meet some strange creatures and help the crew for the hotel escape back to earth. 

Then they end up back at Wonka's chocolate factory, which is now actually Charlie's chocolate factory. There they have some adventures with the three old people still sitting in the big bed they've taken everywhere. They make it through the minor scrapes that prevail and end up with a happy ending. 

Hurray!

I chose this book because my third grade teacher read it to our class. When I found it on my parents' bookshelf at home, I knew I had to read it again. Of course, reading it when I was 8 is very different from reading it as an adult. Although, I remembered a good portion of the book, I thought it was longer and more detailed. I guess that means my imagination took over for the most part. 

It was a really quick and easy read, much like Matilda was, and I enjoyed it. It took me back to my childhood. I would recommend it to those with younger kids to read as long as they know the story of Willy Wonka and his chocolate factory because this is the sequel to that story. 

Two thumbs up! 

Yours, 

Chuck 

1 comment:

  1. What age group would this be good for? Looking for Christmas presents now.

    ReplyDelete