Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: Matilda

2015 Reading Challenge: A book with magic

Matilda
Roald Dahl
240 Pages

CHARACTERS:
Matilda
Mr. & Mrs. Wormwood
Miss Honey
Miss Trunchbull
Lavendar

Matilda is born into a pretty crummy family. She's a genius and teaches herself to read as a young child. She gets back at her terrible and neglectful parents with little pranks like making them think their house is haunted and mixing her dad's hair oil with peroxide so he bleaches his hair.

She goes to a school where Miss Trunchbull terrorizes the children and the teachers. Miss Trunchbull is just a mean person. While attending school, Matilda develops powers that allow her to move things with her eyes. Her one confidant is Miss Honey, her teacher. Using her powers, Matilda is able to scare Miss Trunchbull away and Miss Honey becomes the principal. To avoid getting arrested, Matilda's family leaves England and goes to Spain. She is left with Miss Honey who appreciates Matilda's genius.

This book was an easy read because it's for a young audience. I read it in a day. It was fun. I thought I'd read it as a kid but I didn't remember anything about it. I didn't really think Matilda was completely justified in pranking her parents no matter how much they may have deserved it. I think that's my only complaint. It was enjoyable to read, overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment