Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Vortex of Southern Charm

I've been thinking about this post for awhile now. The title isn't actually of my own making but of a friend of mine who we will call E. Bennett. No, no. Elizabeth B. (Name has been changed to protect her identity.) She knows who she is. She actually helped me start thinking about this topic a few months ago whilst we served as missionaries in Long Beach. So I guess I'll just go ahead and dedicate it to her.

Elizabeth B. This is for you!

What is The Vortex of Southern Charm anyway? 

Well I'll be honest and say it started with a guy... As most things tend to. The first thing I liked about this guy was his accent. He opened his mouth and spoke and I fell hook, line, and sinker. And as it usually goes... He didn't feel the same way. Of course. 

As I talked to Elizabeth B. about this guy with the accent, she started talking about how it's that Southern charm that just SUCKS you in and before you know it... You are flat on your butt staring up at the sky with no idea how you got there. Haha. Lately, I've been thinking about this Southern Charm and what it is about it that I like. I decided to choose 10 things that I liked the most. Here they are in no particular order: 

1) The Accent- as previously stated. I'm just a sucker for it. 

2) A Sense of Decorum (manners)- My friend Lauren, who is originally from Mississippi,  is AWESOME at always sending thank you cards to people. It's just ingrained in her to do it and it's something that I admire and try to emulate.

3) Southern Gentlemen- Alas, I have another friend from Mississippi who is such a southern gentleman. Yes Ma'ams and such. Add the accent and it's so charming!


4) Barbecue! I don't eat a ton of meat but I enjoy a good barbecue with the tangy awesome sauce. And people in the South just seem to know how to make it just right.


5) Fried chicken. I'm not talking about KFC chicken either (which originated in Utah). But the legit fried chicken at home. Mmmm.


6) Sweet Home Alabama. Both the song and the movie. (Fun Fact about the movie- it was actually filmed in Georgia.) 

7) Country Music. I don't know the exact history of the genre but I know that A LOT of the artists from this genre come from the South... like Scotty McCreery!! 

8) To Kill a Mockingbird. It's written by someone from the South. It's about the South. How much more Southern can you get?!


9) Matthew McConaughey. Nuff said.


10) Dr. Pepper. Born and raised in Waco, Texas. This is my poison of choice, which is why I don't drink it that often. 


These are just a few of the things that suck me into The Vortex of Southern Charm. But what it really boils down to is the guy who started the Vortex in the first place. He's one of the most aggravating people I've ever met but between his accent, his blue eyes, and his natural charisma... I was helpless. I got sucked into his Vortex of Southern Charm- along with a dozen other girls. *eye roll* Alas, all hope is not lost for me. (Or those other girls.) Good things do come from the South. Not just sweet talking boys who turn your knees to jelly (I'm talking to you Matthew McConaughey).

Remember to Smile Always!

Chuck

P.S. I am fully and completely aware that I am a totally ridiculous. I find much delight in it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment