Wednesday, April 2, 2014

On Being an Introvert

It's been awhile. Sorry. I've found that after staring at a computer screen for nearly 9 hours at work every day, I just don't feel much like getting on long enough to blog. Here I am now!

Do you know what day it is?! Well, it's April 2nd. I guess my real question is: do you know what happens in 13 (almost 12) days?! 

The DVD release of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"!!!!


I saw this movie in theaters and I L-O-V-E-D it! I saw the original movie with Danny Kaye a million years ago in school. That version follows the short story, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" much closer but I loved this new version. I felt like it held the essence of the short story but then made it better because it actually has a good ending. (I think so anyway.) 

The short story tells of Walter Mitty who is a verbally abused husband of a wretched woman. His life pretty much stinks majorly. His coping mechanism is to daydream about exciting lifestyles like being a pilot, a firefighter, and some other stuff. In the end, he gets in the car with his wretched wife and drives home still miserable.

In the new movie, there is no wretched wife. However, there is a lonely and cautious man named Walter. And he has intense daydreams. These daydreams are so intense that he actually "zones" out. Thus he becomes the butt of many jokes at work.

Anyway, if you really want to know about the movie with Ben Stiller, it comes out in 13/12 days. Watch it. It'll be worth your time. Also the music is pretty awesome.

As for me, I consider myself quite Walter Mitty-ish. I'm not so bad that I actually zone out. But I live a life of daydreams. And although this isn't a bad thing, it certainly impacts me negatively sometimes. I'm an introvert by nature and there is a part of me that desires to be outgoing, to be social, and to just break free of my shell.

But it's REALLY, REALLY hard. I try. And for awhile, I enjoy it a lot. However, I soon grow weary of trying so hard to be something I'm not. I'm a homebody. I have been my whole life. You can ask my mom. I was so shy when I was younger. My process for making friends was to just find someone from my class and glom onto them. I would follow them to lunch and sit by them. I found out from a friend of mine that she didn't like me in the sixth grade because I would hang out with her. Haha. We were good friends in high school so I must have grown on her. Making friends is hard for me too. I don't want to put anyone out. And it takes a lot of effort to try and start a relationship with someone.

On my mission, it was so easy. With other missionaries, we all had a common purpose so you would bond over that. With members and investigators, you bonded over the gospel. It was easy because I didn't have to try and be something I'm not. I was a missionary. That was my role.

Then came real life. It's so hard. Haha. I think because I spent the first few months basically alone I reverted back to my old ways. Now I'm in a new place and I find it hard to really open up to people. It's been kind of lonely. That's the downside to being a twenty-something year old introvert homebody in a college town. I go to bed at ten when, for my roommates at least, ten is when the party is starting. (They're not partiers just so you know. They just have lives/school.)

So how do I break free from my shell? How do I step outside of my comfort zone socially and just meet people? I've been trying harder. I went to a church activity on Monday. Tuesday, I accompanied a friend to see one of her friends. But I would be sitting there and a part of me, deep inside, just wanted to be home reading "The Hobbit".

Maybe there are things you just can't change. I firmly believe in change. If we couldn't change then the Atonement of Jesus Christ would be null and void. Life is all about changing for the better to reach our ultimate goal. But I'm often told by teachers and in lessons that who we are is unique. We all have something to bring to the show that will help someone else and all of that yadayadayada. How can I help someone by being me?

I don't know. However, I do know that I'm going to keep trying to be a little bit better everyday. And I'm going to try a little harder to be more social. I gotta stop drawing within myself and shutting others out. It's terribly lonely around here. And sometimes I feel like I'm on the outside looking in as others have lives and interact with people. I've had that feeling many times in my life. I'm a Walter Mitty. Always dreaming and never really living.

When am I going to stop dreaming and start living? That is the question...

I'll keep you posted!

Smile Always,

Chuck


No comments:

Post a Comment